Flow meters have been around since the 1700s, and they’ve evolved a lot since then. But their basic design has remained the same: a simple piece of equipment that measures how much fluid passes through it.
The pharmaceutical industry is one of the most technologically advanced in the world. The hygienic flow meters play a vital role in this process, and advancements are happening every day that pave the way for future progress.
Pharmaceutical Flow Meter Applications
Flow metering is a technology that can be used in many industries, including the pharmaceutical industry. It allows companies to measure the flow of fluids through their facilities and processes, which can help them make sure they’re reaching their goals.
- Raw materials handling: Raw materials handling is a key component of pharmaceutical production. Flow metering technology makes it possible to accurately measure and monitor the movement of large quantities of raw materials in liquid form from various vendors into the production facility. By using this technology, pharmaceutical companies can ensure the precise levels of materials are present for every step of the chemical synthesis process.
- Production: Production of materials may require the maintenance of a liquid form throughout the process, depending on the parameters of the production method. Flow metering techniques can be employed during the chemical synthesis stage for increased accuracy and optimization of the production process. This professional approach ensures that production is conducted efficiently, accurately, and with the utmost quality.
- Additional processes: Flow metering is an invaluable tool for professionals during various production processes, such as fermentation, extraction, and purification. By using flow metering, professionals can measure and control the rate at which materials are processed, allowing for more precise, efficient, and cost-effective production.
Types of Flow Meters
The pharmaceutical industry uses a variety of different types of flow meters. Understanding these different types will help to understand flow meters’ role in the industry.
Turbine flow meters are indispensable tools in pharmaceutical and biotech industries for accurately measuring the velocity and flow rate of a fluid. Their customizability and programmability make them ideal for applications involving a range of variables, including viscosity, temperature resistance, and fluid density. Professional engineers and technicians can rely on turbine flow meters to provide accurate readings and reliable data in their daily operations.
Turbine flow meters work by using a bladed turbine rotor to measure the speed and velocity of a fluid. The blades on these turbines are made from stainless steel or carbon fiber materials to ensure they don’t rust or corrode over time. They also have an anti-vibration design, so they don’t vibrate when installed in a pipe or tank system.
Turbine flow meters offer distinct benefits and are easily recognizable, but they come with certain limitations. Professional engineers should be aware that these meters are only suitable for use with noncorrosive gases and liquids. Corrosive fluids can cause permanent damage to the turbine, compromising the accuracy of the flow meter. Additionally, changes in fluidity and the presence of bubbles can also influence the accuracy of the reading. For these reasons, a filter may be necessary to capture particulates that could affect the accuracy and reliability of the meter. Furthermore, for particularly viscous fluids, the turbine flow meter may not function correctly.
When it comes to measuring the flow of liquids or gases, Coriolis flow meters are essential tools for professionals. These devices measure the inertia caused by the liquid or gas flowing through a tube, which causes the tube to twist. This twist can then be measured and cataloged for accurate analysis. Traditionally, these flow meters use one of two different setups to effectively measure the inertia of the liquid or gas. By utilizing Coriolis flow meters, professionals can be assured of reliable and accurate results.
Bent-tube flow meters are ideal for situations where precision and consistent measurements are of the utmost importance. On the other hand, Straight-tube flow meters are the perfect choice when the highest level of cleanliness and sanitation is required. This is especially true in pharmaceutical settings, where the slightest trace of a viral pathogen can lead to severe waterborne illnesses with the potential to cause widespread damage. Investing in the correct flow meter can differentiate between a safe and successful operation and one plagued with risks.
Coriolis flow meters are essential for the pharmaceutical industry, mainly when dealing with caustic chemicals. With an all-metal surface, no parts are susceptible to corrosion, and there are no crevices where chemicals or components can get stuck during the transfer process. This makes Coriolis flow meters an essential tool for professionals in the pharmaceutical industry, providing reliable and effective performance in even the harshest of environments.
Thermal mass flow meters are professional tools for measuring gas quantities. Combining other forms of flow meter technology, such as that found in ultrasound and Coriolis meters, these meters provide an accurate way to measure gas flow. In operation, probes in the gas stream register the substance’s temperature, while a second probe contains a heating unit that increases the nearby temperature. The differences in gas flow between the two temperature zones are then used to measure the movement of the gases being transmitted.
Thermal mass flow meters provide a reliable and accurate solution for applications such as nitrogen blanketing and purging or tablet and pill coating on the manufacturing floor. Unlike turbines, these meters have a minimal footprint within the gas flow so that they won’t cause any interference. With their small size and non-intrusive design, these meters are the perfect choice for professionals who need accurate and reliable flow measurements.
Benefits of Hygienic Flow Meters in Pharma
Using hygienic flow meters in pharmaceutical work can provide numerous advantages to professionals in the field. These systems can offer significant benefits, from improved accuracy and repeatability to increased safety and quality control. In addition, hygienic flow meters are designed to meet the strictest of regulations, meaning that reliable data can be produced for research and development, production, and quality management.
- Product consistency: With the help of a high-quality flow meter, professionals can ensure product consistency and quality control. Interruptions or fluctuations in the flow of liquid or gas components can interfere with product quality. Still, a flow meter can help prevent these issues before they arise. By utilizing this technology, professionals can ensure the reliable and consistent production of the highest quality products.
- Accurate monitoring: Accurate monitoring is essential for operations in the pharmaceutical industry, as gases such as oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide must be tracked closely. Flow meters are an efficient and reliable way to monitor these gases, providing precise data that can alert you to a potential leak if one occurs. By utilizing advanced monitoring solutions, you can ensure your operations are running smoothly and that any potential issues are identified quickly.
- Waste reduction: The efficient management of gas or liquid flow is a critical component of production operations. Variations in flow can lead to wasted resources and increased costs. High-sensitivity flow meters can quickly detect variations in flow and enable remote adjustments to ensure optimal production. Utilizing this technology can help professionals reduce waste and control costs in the long run.
- Lower costs: Calibrations and maintenance can be costly but essential for efficiently operating your equipment. Sensitive flow meters can often be used as calibration tools in various circumstances, reducing the expense associated with calibrations and maintenance. By taking advantage of these cost-saving opportunities, you can ensure your equipment remains accurate and reliable.
Pharmaceutical Flow Meters and Their Impact
Flow meters are a powerful tool for the pharmaceutical industry. They enable accurate monitoring of fluids and gases’ pressure, volume, and viscosity in the production process.
As the industry continues to evolve, so will the application of flow meters, further streamlining production and allowing for greater accuracy in measurements. In conclusion, flow meters are a reliable and invaluable asset for the pharmaceutical industry and will continue to be so for years.