BCST pneumatic ball valve is a high-performance device that controls or modulates airflow in a pneumatic system.
Everything You Need To Know About A Pneumatic Ball Valve | A Review
The pneumatic ball valve is a high-performance device that controls or modulates airflow in a pneumatic system. It converts compressed air energy into torque. It regulates air passage in tubing, pipes, and other devices in an automatic pneumatic system.
Read this guide to learn about the complete details of a pneumatic ball valve.
1# What Is The Working Principle Of Pneumatic Ball Valve?
A pneumatic ball valve follows the rack and pinion mechanism for its working. It involves a linear gear that is rack and a circular gear that is pinion. The rack is attached to a piston. The primary power source for the pneumatic ball valve is compressed air. A pneumatic valve uses pressurized air and gas to generate energy. The piston is pushed by compressed air to create a linear motion. The pinion converts this linear motion into circular motion. The actuator automates the control of the ball valve. Its ball valve is a quarter-turn off/on the valve that controls media flow through a pivoting ball.
Figure 1: Rack & Pinion Mechanism For Working Of A Pneumatic Ball Valve A (Pinion) & B (Rack)
2# What Are The Features Of A Pneumatic Actuator?
The high-quality pneumatic ball valve is ideal for applications requiring a full-flow body design for industrial applications.
- Require less maintenance
- 100% tested in house
- Compact design
- Super-fast cycle times (half to 1 second)
- Suitable for high-pressure applications
- Consist of 304, 304L, 316, 316L stainless steel, aluminum, or bronze material
- Operate on-air to open and spring to close
- Minimize line turbulence
- Reduce pressure drop
- Work at a variable temperature ranging from -20F to 350F
- Require 60 to 125 psi pressure for working
3# In Which Industries You Can Use A Pneumatic Actuator?
You can use a pneumatic ball valve in multiple factories and manufacturing units. It is suitable to use on OEM equipment where compressed air is accessible. Its aluminum body makes it reliable for various industrial uses. It offers exceptional service life and improved performance at very affordable rates. Its applications involve:
- Oil & gas industries
- Automobile industries
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Food & beverages industries
- Power processing industries
- Chemical admixtures and treatment industries
- Liquid filling equipment
- Automotive fluid fill systems
- Media control boiler
- Blowdown autoclaves or sterilizers
- Pulp % paper processing industries
4# What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pneumatic Ball Valve?
The pros of using a pneumatic ball valve include:
- High durability and low maintenance
- Heat, fire, moisture, alkali, acid, and oxidation resistance
- Fast cycle duration
- Occupy less space than electric actuators
- Capable of withstanding high pressure
No doubt, the number of benefits of a pneumatic ball valve is significantly high than its disadvantages. However, the cons of using a pneumatic ball valve include:
- Increased production cost
- Need of compressed air
5# What Is The Difference Between An Electric Actuator And Pneumatic Actuator?
- Driving force is the main difference between a pneumatic actuator and an electric actuator. The electric actuator requires no input air supply, while a pneumatic ball valve requires an air supply of approximately 60 to 125 psi.
- The pneumatic ball valve takes half to one minute to open or close the valve. On the contrary, the electric actuator takes 6 seconds to 25 seconds for working.
- The pneumatic ball valve is suitable for working at a high temperature ranging from -20F to 350F. The electric actuator works from 40F to 150F.
- The pneumatic actuator is more durable than the electric actuator.
6# What Are NEMA Ratings Of Pneumatic Ball Valve?
The high-quality pneumatic actuator accurately controls and modulates the flow of gas or air in a pneumatic system. The pneumatic ball valve is designed to meet the following NEMA ratings:
NEMA 4: It offers a high degree of protection against water, moisture, ice, and dirt.
NEMA 4X: It offers the next level of protection against corrosion in alkali, acidic, and oxidative environments.
NEMA 6: It makes pneumatic ball valves reliable for specific working conditions and time.
NEMA 7: It makes pneumatic actuators reliable for indoor applications in harsh environments to withstanding high pressure from internal explosions.
7# What If A Pneumatic Actuator Works But Failed To Produce Enough Torque?
There are multiple reasons if the pneumatic ball valve works but fails to produce enough torque. Sometimes, inaccurate opening and closing of valves, inappropriate adjustment to lock the door, and inaccurately positioned closing conditions lead to failure to produce enough torque. You must monitor the following requirements to ensure smooth working of pneumatic actuator:
- Check air leakage in the cylinder
- Check damage to o-ring in the cylinder
- Check and monitor the reduced thrust in the spring
- Check the sensitivity in the cylinder outlet lock valve
- Check and adjust the speed of the controller
- Check and adjust the bolts at both ends of the cylinder
8# What Are The Two Common Types Of A Pneumatic Actuator?
The two common types of a pneumatic actuator include:
- Double-Acting Pneumatic Ball Valve
- Spring-Return Pneumatic Ball Valve
9# What To Do When A Pneumatic Actuator Is Not Working Accurately?
If a pneumatic ball valve is not working accurately, there must be several reasons behind this problem. Consider these points when you come across this problem:
- Identify leakage in the seal ring
- Identify if valve sealing parts are producing too much friction
- Check the connection of the speed controller
- Check the rated value of air source pressure
- Check the connectivity of the solenoid plug
- Clean up or replace solenoid valve plug to ensure a normal air change
- Monitor the rated value of air source pressure of the air filter pressure reducer
10# How To Select The Right Type Of Pneumatic Actuator?
Consider these essential points to select the correct type of pneumatic ball valve for industrial applications:
- Determine the industrial needs and requirements
- Determine the directional force for selecting double-selecting or single-acting cylinders
- Determine the load-carrying capacity of the actuator
- Identify the available space for installation of pneumatic ball valve
- Determine its accuracy, reliability, and working conditions
- Identify the body material
- Identify the amount of pressure required for channelizing the air
However, you can also ask our experts to choose the right type of pneumatic actuator to meet your industrial requirements.
11# Which Type Of Pneumatic Actuator Is Perfect For Applications?
Different types of pneumatic actuators are available in the market. The selection of a pneumatic actuator depends on its applications. Consider these points before selecting the right kind of pneumatic actuator:
The double-acting pneumatic ball valve is suitable for low to high-cycle applications. It has a compact design and requires a power outage failsafe.
The spring-return pneumatic ball valve is suitable for moderate-cycle applications. During the events of compressed air or power loss, it requires a failsafe.
A double-acting pneumatic ball valve with a failsafe is designed for high-cycle applications. It requires a failsafe during the event of power loss or compressed air.
12# What Can Be The Potential Causes If Valve Does Not Open?
If pneumatic ball valve action is normal, but its valve is not opening, consider these three points to identify the root cause:
- Blockage in the pipeline
- Valve core or valve seat has adhered
- Valve core and actuator are no more joined together
If you have excellent skills to identify the problems, you should go ahead! Otherwise, contact expert technicians for solving the problem. You can contact our expert engineers to share your queries to identify the potential causes of your problems. We are 24×7 available to serve our customers by all means.
13# Describe The Parts Of A Pneumatic Ball Valve?
The top-quality pneumatic ball valve includes the below-mentioned parts:
- Body of actuator
- Top pinion spacer and washer
- Bottom pinion bushing or o-ring
- Top pinion busing or o-ring
- Anti-blow out pinion
- Pinion snap ring
- Position indicator
- Travel stop nut, bolt, washer, and o-ring
- Piston guide plate, o-ring, and guide ring
- Endcap seals and bolts
- Spring cartridge
- Cap screw or indicator
These are standard parts of a pneumatic ball valve. However, you can order customized products as well. The specifications of a customized pneumatic actuator vary according to the provided information.
14# What To Do When Valve Switch Is Not In Place, But Its Action Is Normal?
When a pneumatic ball valve is usually working, but the valve switch is not in place, there must be several reasons:
- Check the pipeline plug valve. There must be some blockage or a foreign body that is causing this blockage.
- There can be a significant pressure difference in the medium.
- There must be rigidity in the actuator or valve.
- The body of the vale is itself causing failure. The damage in the sealing surface or stuffing box leakage can be a significant reason.
It is better so you can find the root cause of the problem to avoid replacement charges or high-cost actions.
15# Which Materials Are Used For Manufacturing Of A Pneumatic Actuator?
The following types of materials are used significantly for manufacturing a pneumatic ball valve:
- 304, 304L, 316, and 316L stainless steel
- 48B Brass
- Cast iron
- Ductile iron
- Metal alloys
- Steel alloys
- Plastics including PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and CPVC (chlorinated polyvinyl chloride)
The overall selection of raw materials is based on the intended applications. Usually, stainless steel, steel alloys, and bronze materials are selected by customers because of their durability and increased shelf life. We can customize any raw materials as per the shared specifications of our clients.
16# Can You Order Customized Pneumatic Actuator From BCST?
Yes, you can order a customized pneumatic ball valve from BCST. Our manufacturing unit is equipped with the latest machinery and updated tools for the production of high-quality products. We first analyze your budget and requirements to design a custom-made strategy for customization purposes. However, we request our customers to share their specifications, including selection of material, industrial application working condition, type of ball valve, seal & packaging material, operating & controlling pressure, mounting standard, the viscosity of the medium, and controlling & service medium. We design a 3D model and receive approval from our clients before we start working on their projects.
17# How Do You Know When A Pneumatic Ball Valve Is Open?
A pneumatic actuator works excellently in both vertical and perpendicular positions. You can quickly identify if a pneumatic ball valve is open or close. When a pneumatic ball valve is opened, its handle remains parallel to the valve. On the contrary, when a pneumatic ball valve is closed, its handle remains perpendicular to the plane. It helps you fix the problem to ensure its smooth application. Please see the manufacturer’s guide to find about the working of a pneumatic ball valve. In case of more queries, consult our experienced team members to fix the problem. You can contact us 24×7.
18# How To Install A Pneumatic Ball Valve?
- As per pipeline design requirements, install a gasket between the pneumatic ball valve flange and pipeline flange.
- Tighten all the bolts on the flange in a step-by-step manner.
- Complete the installation of the air source once the pneumatic ball valve adopts the actuator.
- At the upstream end, install any section of the pneumatic ball valve. At any position of the pipeline, install the handle of the pneumatic ball valve.
- Once installation is completed, open and close the pneumatic valve multiple times. It improves flexibility and reduces stress.
- Test all the sealing between pipeline flange and pneumatic ball valve.
19# How To Prolong The Service Life Of Pneumatic Actuator?
The life span of a pneumatic ball valve depends on the working conditions and medium in which it is installed. The priority thing you have to keep in mind is that you need a stable gas source to increase the service life of a pneumatic ball valve. A stable source of compressed air directly influences the speed of the valve. It also improves the life of the valve sealing ring. Always install a couplet on an individual pneumatic ball valve. It maintains stable air pressure and regularly refuels the cylinders. The couplet discharges moisture from the air that significantly improves the life span of a cylinder.
20# How Many Sealing Positions Does A Pneumatic Ball Valve Have?
A pneumatic ball valve has four sealing positions. The accurately sealed pneumatic actuator increases the life span and functionality of valves. Its sealing positions include:
- Stem Seal Ring: The stem’s position operates. It seals the ring with tetrafluoro or other flexible graphite material.
- Midway Seal Ring: It seals the middle connection valve. Generally, tetrafluoro and graphite metal composite are suitable materials for midway seal rings.
3 & 4. Two Seals On Both Sides: It forms a ball core on both sides of the export seal ring. They are sealed with high-temperature resistant PTFE and PPL materials.
21# What Is Hydrostatic Shell Test?
A hydrostatic shell test validates the mechanical strength and durability of the pneumatic ball valve. A partially open pneumatic valve is mounted on the bench and subjected to hydrostatic pressure. The duration for this test varies from 15 seconds to 300 seconds, depending upon the valve size. It requires operating temperature ranging from 41F to 122F and working pressure up to 15000 psi. The valve is monitored to identify pressure drops during the entire process. If no leakage occurs from the body of the valve, no pressure drop exists. It ensures the functionality, durability, and efficiency of the valve.
22# Describe The Production Stages Of A Pneumatic Ball Valve?
Our professional team members create the best designs for a pneumatic ball valve by using specialized software and computer-aid tools.
- Die Casting:
BCST is specialized in die-casting procedures that enable the molding of aluminum components of actuators and valves.
- Plastic Moulding:
We perform injection molding of plastic materials to guarantee top-level products during the entire production process.
- Mechanical Processing:
We execute high-performance and fully automated mechanical precision processes to produce high furnish products. Mechanical processing is suitable for aluminum, steel, brass, and bronze materials.
- Assembly & Testing:
BCST undergoes strict control procedures to ensure the quality and performance of valves.
23# What Is The Average Price Range Of A Pneumatic Ball Valve?
The minimum price of a pneumatic ball valve is approximately $25, while the maximum cost of a pneumatic ball valve is approximately $300. Usually, stainless steel and bronze-made pneumatic ball valves are expensive than metal alloy pneumatic ball valves. The average pricing of a pneumatic actuator depends on its specifications, manufacturing materials, and intended application. However, the rates vary as per the shared requirements of customers. Please contact us to manufacture a pneumatic ball valve to meet your industrial requirements. Visit our website for more pricing-related information. We offer the best solutions to meet your requirements under the designated budget.
24# How Can You Get A Free Estimate Of A Pneumatic Actuator?
BCST offers a free estimation for pneumatic ball valve products with a simple procedure. You can contact our customer care center for price estimation-related services. Our expert engineers understand your requirements to provide complete estimation services.
You can also discuss the entire project with our experienced team members via one-to-one video calls or in-person meetings. The estimated rates are based on the provided information and current market rates. The estimated rates may vary from actual rates because of technical reasons. Stay in touch with us to get exciting deals and amazing offers on pneumatic ball valve products.
The Bottom Line:
You must be aware of working principles, benefits, applications, installation, and pricing-related information about a pneumatic ball valve. It is the best device to control and modulate the airflow via pneumatic systems. These products are inexpensive, require less maintenance, withstand high temperature and pressure, and offer excellent durability.
BCST is the most popular and renowned company with high customer ratings. We are the manufacturers of a Pneumatic Ball Valve and ensure the sustainability of our products. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase the world-class pneumatic ball valves at affordable rates!